Thursday, January 20, 2011

Potty About Pottery

When P saw my work which I brought home last evening from pottery school, he said – you have graduated to the next level.

Earlier, in class, Mrs K, my teacher said she was very impressed with my work this time, and she had told people how it was for only three months that I had been doing pottery!

I was over the moon and had stars in my eyes. Just like a little girl’s. And here I am, bubbling with enthusiasm of the pure girlish kind, eagerly waiting to show you my work.

IMG_0829IMG_0846 I am specially pleased with this copper and licorice serving platter with hand-sculpted roses. By far one of my best. Or so I think.

IMG_0848 IMG_0851_1 IMG_0850 I could also use it as a fruit platter. No? I have plans to retire to an east Mediterranean island, dip my feet in an ocean inlet, and eat olives from it. You are welcome to join in.

Then I made these two soap dishes. With holes punched in them for the ease of drainage.
IMG_0861IMG_0832
And then this, something inspired by my love for Sushi. These two dishes. A sea-themed Sushi/Sashimi tray and a blue-finned fish. Maybe maach bhaja will look good on it too.
IMG_0835 IMG_0841 IMG_0837
This textured trinket dish was made one day with leftover clay, I used warm green and brown glazes on it to give the colors of Earth, a sign I belong to. I also hand carved some “grass”.
IMG_0854_1 IMG_0857 IMG_0855

Okay, that’s all I got for this week. More from the past here if you still have some time.

20 comments:

GB said...

Pree, you're going professional with this I hope. I call dibs on the soap dishes. Etsy kab khol rahi ho? beyond gorgeous--I just want to steal away everything in the cover of the night--I need to train as a cat burglar now!

Kamini said...

Pree...you have outdone yourself. I'll join you on that island of Crete to eat olives, and than take a dip in the Mediterranean and use the soap! I'll have to decline the maach bhaja. My absolute fav is the trinket dish...love love love it! You put it on Etsy, its mine, am calling dibs on it right now! I mean it seriously!

Ushnish Ghosh said...

Dear Pree
Thats great indeed...I feel really good to see all your work. Keep it up.
Have a nice weekend
Kaku

AR said...

Pree - The soap dish and the hand carved rose platter were excellent. May I know who you did those intricate patterns on the soap dishes ie., the prints and patterns. If you say that you drew all those by hand, you are very skilled and patient. I am not good in drawing, so wish there is some easy to use pattern stamp of some sort...Thanks for your reply. Amazing work you got... Keep it going.. I am doing some basic wheel throwing, have taken some hand-building long back, but after looking at your work, I am deeply inspired.

Sayantani Mahapatra Mudi said...

whats the link to your etsy shop?

Sound Horn Please said...

You need to go professional Pree! Totally! The blue fish and the trinket tray are my favourites. Love the colours! I love your pottery posts :)

Priya Suresh said...

Wow they looks pretty and great..

Tanvi@Sinfully Spicy said...

You are doing so neat and professionally Pree! I saw a pears soap after such a long time.The soap cases look darn good.
In other news,against all odds I got khejur gur in Vegas..was more than happy :)

Cham said...

Gosh It is outstanding your work! I am in love with the fish and the platter with roses!

Hamaree Rasoi said...

OMG! What an excellent craftswoman you are! You have created majic out of clay. Beautiful pottery.

Deepa
Hamaree Rasoi

Anu Gummaraju said...

I LOVE all the pieces. Way talented you are..definitely "the next level" ;-). You should totally go pro and you have a cutomer right here! Of course, Gagan and Kamini, you've been smart getting first dibs on the lovely pieces :):)

PreeOccupied said...

@All, thank you for appreciating my work. Means much.

@AR, for the soap dishes I have used wooden stamps (the ones used in India on fabric/block printing) to press on the clay. You can use lace, stamps, motifs, and even shells to make textures on the clay. Let me know if this helps.

Home Cooked Oriya Food said...

absolutely loved all the pieces, especially the soap dish...
So if u do go pro, let us all know... We will be all there to cheer u on!

My Unfinished Life said...

wonderful...ttruely wonderful!!
you are a truely talented and creative person!!
today i attended a delhi bloggers meet and i emphatically mentioned how you have inspired me to go for pottery and also helped me cook an array of dishes!!

Unknown said...

awesome Pree. you are building up quite a portfolio.the platters are beautiful.

aipi said...

I already have an order being shipped from you to me..can you please add a couple of these while you are at it..lol..just kidding!
Absolutely beautiful work..


US Masala

Scribbler :) said...

you, my dear, are a star!

Shilpi Bose said...

I was going through your blog and when I saw your work of art, my instant reaction was WOW!Did you actually make it? Superb.

PreeOccupied said...

@Shilpi, yes! :-)

Amtrips said...

wow, not just cooking and blogging... you do pottery too...! indeed you are a creative person.. i always admired the props you use for your food photography...!