Friday, July 16, 2010

Masala Salmon

I did not know I was making this Masala Salmon until I picked my new barbecue recipe book.

I got two Salmon steaks from Chinatown and its only 10 minutes before dinner time, that I got ahead with making this recipe and I am so glad I did!
IMG_9665
Page 373 of The Barbecue Collection has this recipe, which is quite easy. The original recipe has curry paste in it, but I personally don’t like curry powder or paste so I conveniently left it out. The rest of the ingredients remained the same.
IMG_9673

Ingredients for Masala Salmon are:

Two Salmon steaks
1 small red onion
1/4 cup plain yogurt
1/4 cup fresh coriander
1 tablespoon lemon juice
3-4 green chilies/ hot peppers
2 teaspoon grated root ginger
2-3 cloves garlic minced
1/4 vegetable oil
Salt

Finely chop the onion. In a skillet, heat oil and deep fry the onions till they turn red and crispy. Reserve the oil and remove the onions with a slotted spoon. Let it cool. IMG_9666
In a blender, add the ginger, garlic, yogurt, green chilies, coriander, lemon juice, the fried onions, very little of the oil (from the onions) and salt. Give it a good swirl. This is the marinade for your fish.

Slobber the fish steaks with this marinade. For basting, drizzle the remaining oil you used to fry the onions.

IMG_9667 Let the fish stand in its marinade for about 15 minutes.

I used the broiler of my oven (on high) and grilled the salmon for about 7-8 minutes on each side.

IMG_9671

I served the Salmon Masala with some Potato Wedges and a Mexican-inspired Salsa. (Remember all those fresh vegetables I got from the Farmers’ Market?)IMG_9668
For the Salsa, I chopped finely a small red onion, half a cucumber, a firm red tomato, two red radishes, a handful of coriander and a few green chilies (I used the Thai green chilies). The seasoning was a simple lemon juice, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper (or a pinch of red chili powder), and half a teaspoon of cumin powder. That’s a whole lot of flavor and crunch in a bowl.
IMG_9669IMG_9672A perfect, delicious and remarkably “healthy” dinner was awaiting us, and it took me less than an hour to make it! The flavor the fried onions added to the fish was just so classy, I intend to do it to a few other recipes I have in mind.

Only wish the local Pakistani restaurant offered fish this good. 

11 comments:

GB said...

That's a fishy recipe I could def. use.

BTW, the base mentioned here works beautifully for chicken and for mushrooms. Thought I add some roasted/crushed corriander seeds, cumin and 1tsp garam masala to it.

Sayantani Mahapatra Mudi said...

ohh thats really lovely. ami mach khete shuru korechi akhon...eta bookmark korlam. between eta tilapia fillet die kora jabe?

GB said...

though..

PreeOccupied said...

@GB, there spake a Punjaban! :-) I guess its the fried onions which make a whole lot of difference, else haven't we used this same marinade for so many other things!

@Sayantani, absolutely. Try a whole Tilapia if you can.

Suman Singh said...

bumped in here for the first time..lovely space..love that food platter..looks incredibly delicious...yumm...

Regina said...

Hi Pree
I tried this recipe yesterday and it was such a stunner!..Thank you so much for sharing :) Could we have more recipes like this please..something suited for summer
Thanks x

Sanghamitra Bhattacherjee(Mukherjee) said...

Loved your Salmon Saga pree :)
Will try this yummy recipe soon...
Very recently I have announced my first giveaway for US/Canada people....for the fun please stay connected!

Anonymous said...

We call it Masalmon :-p

Home Cooked Oriya Food said...

wow thats awesome... I would love to have some...

Soma said...

On my to do. I barely experiment with any fish other than rui, catfish and tilapia. I guess this can be done with chicken too. lovely idea to use the onions this way.

Soma

Bong Mom said...

I usually marinate salmon this way and the bake. But I don't fry the onions, that I will do now.

Also, tomar kasundi ache ? Kasundi, kancha lanka, ektu doi are shorsher tel salmon e makhiye, oven bake, last 2 minute broil koro, heavvy lage

BTW check with our doc for what fish you can eat etc. Salmon should be ok though but not in huge quantity