Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Moth Papri Chaat

Chaat is all about assembly. I met her in the assembly too. We were in the eighth grade then, barely aware of our rights. My class was mercilessly disintegrated by the nuns in the convent school, and we were sent packing to other sections. Hence I landed in AA’s section. Class 8D.math whiz AA was that Math whiz every class has. I think I made friends with her only to sharpen my skills in Algebra and Trigonometry, and also for her homemade mango pickles. She would let me have her lunch box, and also invite me home for her birthdays. Her parties were so much fun with chaat, gol gappa, spicy chole and video games. Not boring like mine – just the luchi-cholaar daal, pulao-mangsho and sandesh-cake fare. 

AA was everything I never could be, and her parties so popular, girls talked about it till her next birthday. Okay, that’s a little exaggerated, but it was important for me to use hyperbole to let you get the drift.

When I posted recipe invites on my Facebook page yesterday, AA was the first one to email me. A long and involved recipe of Moth Papri Chaat. Painstakingly detailing all the steps.

I knew what Papri Chaat was. But Moth? Some minutes later, I found this on the Internet.

So today I made this chaat, with AA Mother’s recipe.

Ingredients for Moth Papri Chaat are:

For the Papri you will need:
1:1:1 of wheat flour, flour and semolina
Quarter teaspoon nigella seeds
2 tablespoons canola oil for kneading
Half cup oil for deep frying
Pinch of salt
Water

IMG_8416 Knead a hard dough with the flour-semolina, using very little water. Make a large but thin flatbread with portions of the dough.
IMG_8417 Cut cookie-size papris using a cookie cutter.
IMG_8418 Poke a fork or knife at several places of these small papris and keep aside for 15 minutes.
IMG_8419Heat oil in a wok till smoking. Add 4-5 papris and deep fry till golden brown. Drain excess oil in paper towels.
IMG_8421 IMG_8422(Let them cool down before storing.)

For the Moth:
1 cup green moong, soaked overnight
1 teaspoon canola oil
1 teaspoon red chili powder
1 teaspoon dry mango powder
1 teaspoon salt

IMG_5840 Cook the soaked moong in water, oil and spices till tender but not mushy. Drain if there is excess water.
IMG_8431

For the Sweet Tamarind Chutney:
Half cup tamarind pulp
Half cup sugar
1 teaspoon red chili powder
1 teaspoon dry ginger powder
Half cup water
Salt to taste
IMG_8436I make this instant chutney where I blend everything and then heat for a couple of minutes in the microwave. Adjust the taste to get the right balance.

For the Green Chili Chutney:
Handful of green chilies
1 teaspoon dry mango powder
Half cup water
Salt

IMG_8435Blend everything together till you get a smooth chutney. It should be a little runny.

For the garnish/topping:
Half cup chopped boiled potatoes
Half cup chopped coriander leaves
Half cup finely chopped red onions
Half cup sev bhujia
1 teaspoon black salt
1 teaspoon roasted cumin-coriander powder
IMG_8432 IMG_8424 IMG_8434IMG_8428IMG_8425Like I said, chaat is all about assembling the ingredients in the right order, which practically takes no time. Its also about serving it fresh. Its just the prep work and cooking which are somewhat long and involved. But let that not daunt you because what waits at the end is sheer B-R-I-L-L-I-A-N-C-E.IMG_8429 Layer the papris on a plate and top each one with ample moth, pieces of potato and onions.
IMG_8437 IMG_8439Drizzle the chutneys, balancing the heat and the sweet and sprinkle lots of chopped coriander.
IMG_8440 Pinch some black salt and roasted cumin-coriander powder and add to the chaat.
IMG_8441Top it off with store-bought sev bhujia.

What is bliss, I ask. And I hear a roaring reply from inside me – friends like AA and a plateful of Moth Papri Chaat on a sunny afternoon. The chaat with all its fresh and crunchy ingredients bursting in my mouth a thousand splendid flavors. And that cup of Darjeeling tea tingling my senses. IMG_8442 IMG_8444 Thank you, AA! For this is just the little window you have opened for me to keep coming back to you for your recipes. You will at least be happy I am not pestering you with a Math problem.

4 comments:

Sanyukta Gour(Bayes) said...

cool.....pics..really very tempting,eye catchy and droolworthy.............lovely pics.......my all time favorite

Shilpa said...

I am just becoming a fan of your recipes... you make it look so simple :)

Sharmila said...

Ei shokkal bela, ek cup cha o khaini, ar ei post ta dekhchi, bhabte parcho amar obostha ta ki hocche?
Darao, fire eshe 'darun' bolbo ... right now jibe jol ... kichu ekta khete i hobe. :-)
Darun chaat shob post korcho ektar por ekta! :-)

PreeOccupied said...

Sanyukta and Shilpa, thanks again for your lovely comments. Though this is not my recipe. Its my friend's. Her "tiffin" and snacks and savories were the greatest I have ever had.

@Sharmila, I make these at home when I have those cravings, which is pretty much every other day. The chaat-papri you get here is really not worth spending a dime. The few times I have had them, I have been meaning to tell those guys to come visit me at home. No arrogance there, but if you are selling stuff in the name of Indian street food, better do it well.